Saturday, June 30, 2007

Great Wall!

So yesterday we decided that it would be a great idea for our first Saturday to go the Great Wall. What we were not expecting was the flood gates of Heaven opening up on us and raining down its glory. The whole drive there was nice, except for that I got the privelage of sitting in the front seat with the driver who spoke no English and continued to talk to me the entire hour and a half then would just laugh at my look of confusion. He was probablly making fun of me but I have no idea. I will choose to think that he was complimenting my sense of style and great decision of wearing a white skirt on a day to hike the great wall. (Which is now stained brown)
So we get there and it starts pouring. We go to buy our tickets thinking we are here so we are going, and these two American guys from Missouri start talking to us and tell us that they heard to wait thirty minutes. They talked to us forever! And all Ally and I wanted to do was go buy a pointy hat. We finally escaped and we walk down to where we had seen pointy hats and of course we buy one each. After awhile it stops raining and so we put on our pointy hats and all these Chinese people started asking to take our picture and then they wanted one with us! It was awesome, we are now famous here. We are probablly framed in some Chinese people's house already or they will send us out as their Christmas card. We finally make it up and thank goodness it wasn't hot because it is a LONG walk. Then because of our pointy hats/friendly faces we make more friends. These ones are American boys again. One was 22 and the other 30. They walked the whole way down with us and also wanted a picture of us... which is weird because they are American too. People love us here.

Oh ya and today Ally and I talked in Mexican accents for about 4 hours. It was because we watched a bootleg copy of Happy Feet from our house that had no ending last night and the Mexican penguins are our favorite part.
Here some pictures from the trip so far

Ally and I with our pointy hats. This is the reason we came to China.

This is the part of the wall where Mulan fought off the Huns.



Another shot of the Great Wall at Mutianyu

Serious Chinese peace sign face on the Great Wall

2 comments:

Chelsie Sargent said...

I love the pictures- what an experience- enjoy it all!!!

JENNY said...

Mel, I seriously doubt you went to China just for the pointy hats. I know you wanted to go to find your soul mate, too. I really love your pictures of the Great Wall. It looks beautiful there.