Friday, July 6, 2007

Well our first week of school is over and it flew by. Here are a few highlights of the week.
1) One of my kids, Jason, bowed to me yesterday. He was like "Melanie!" (like all surprised) and then put his hands on his stomach and bowed almost to the floor to me. It was great! Of course I bowed back and he thought that was hilarious.
2) Yesterday on the back of Sun's test that we took during class he wrote the coordinates for London, Tokyo, Paris, Beijing, and Soul in Korea. I thought that was hilarious. He loves numbers but other than that doesn't know alot of other things.
3) Wednesday's homework was on Nouns and on one of the worksheets Dr. Pepper was a noun that was used. Then at the bottom of the page they had to use some of the nouns in a sentence. I kept getting these ones that would say "Dr. Pepper is tall." "Dr. Pepper is good looking." The whole time I was like these do not make sense and finally on the last one a little girl wrote, "I visit Dr. Pepper." It was then that I realized they all that Dr. Pepper was a person!

So the other day Ally and I were at the supermarket and of course we were looking at everything because 1) we were trying to find stuff to buy and 2) we wanted to see all the weird stuff. So we were looking at chips trying to figure out the flavors and realized that we were about to buy shrimp flavored chips!! We were disgusted and put them back and then sure enough the next day a kid in my class brought those for snack and kept trying to get me to eat them. Apparantly they are pretty popular here.

Also yesterday Ally and I decided that even though no one told us to we should probablly clean the turtle tank at our house. First of all it's just funny that they have a turtle because it is gross and we have to feed it. Second of all the entire tank was filled with poo. In fact after we cleaned out the tank the turtle still had poo sticking all over it. We were took sicked out to actually touch the turtle so it is still covered in poo. We figured the note said, "Feed the fish and turtle if they are not already dead." so we guessed it wasn't too important if it was clean.

Ok last story, today we went to the Pearl Market after school. We took a bus for 50 minutes, no air condition, no seats, and people pushing all over you to get there. But i was only about 19 cents so it was worth it. Then we got there and it was HUGE! 5 stories of stuff to buy. We made some friends and got some pretty good deals. Well at least we think they are friends but they probablly don't like us as much because we paid about 1/10 of what they asked for. Then we asked one of our new friends where we should eat dinner. She directed us to a Chinese resturaunt not far from there. When we got there it looked really cool but no one spoke English. Apparantly in this part of Beijing Americans are like gods. Every waiter in the place was surrounding our table. In fact about 6 of them just watched us eat the whole time and smiled and laughed whenever we tried to talk to them. They asked us our names by pointing at themselves and saying there name and then every time we tried to take a picture of just us they would try to put bunny ears on us... these are my kind of guys! They were really funny and we have a picture with two of them but it is on another camera so look forward to that!


Mine and Ally's newe Chinese boyfriend

Some of the waiters that crowded around our table the whole time we were at the resturaunt.




Me and Ally outside the Pearl Market

3 comments:

Kat said...

That whole waiter stuff...it happens to me here in America. I just hate it. Guess what...I'm leading a L2L 3 group...wish you were here to do it with me! Oh and this is my last comment on your blog unless you start commenting on mine!

Anonymous said...

Mel! I just realized you even have a blog for your trip to china! YES!! Well I just wrote on your facebook wall too! okay well love you!

JENNY said...

get over yourself goodbye, must be hard to be you yeah everything is alright...remember how we loved that song. sing it back to those waiters.